The Fenton Fire Department was officially established in 1932 because of two devastating fires in an eight-block area now known today as "Old Town." The department began operating with only one fire truck and was staffed by volunteers. The truck was named "Old Betsy" and served the community of Fenton for may years. The 1940's and 1950's brought about an era of definite changes and advancement for the fire department. In 1959, the department became a tax supported fire district, allowing them to staff the trucks with full-time, paid personnel as well as maintaining a volunteer staff. The fire district ultimately phased out the volunteers as budgets allowed more full time personnel.
Steady growth in both industrialization and population brought about the need for a second station. It was built in 1963 at 1385 Horan Drive. 1n 1987, Station Number Three was built at 1620 Smizer Mill Road. Later that year, two advanced life support ambulances were added to the districts and staffed with paramedics. The district accepted the advancements in technology as a challenge. Station Number Four was built in 1992 at 12500 Rott Road in Sunset Hills. In 1996, a third ALS ambulance was placed in service.
Today the Fenton Fire Protection District maintains four stations and employs 62 personnel all cross trained as firefighters, EMT's, and paramedics. Fire apparatus include 2 pumpers, 3 ladder trucks, 4 ambulances, one rescue boat, one mini-pumper, and various staff and maintenance vehicles. In 2011, Fenton Fire Protection District responded to 3,750 requests for emergency assistance. Of those, 2,561 alarms were for emergency medical services including rescues, and 1189 alarms were for fire related calls.
The Fenton Fire Protection District is proud to boast a rating an ISO (Insurance Service Office) rating of 3 which is the "Best" rating possible in St. Louis County. In 2008, The Fenton Fire Protection District received Accredited Agency status with the Commission on Fire Accreditation International (CFAI). The district met the criteria established through the CFAI's voluntary self-assessment and accreditation program. The Fenton Fire Protection District is the first fire department in St. Louis County to achieve accreditation, and only the second in the state of Missouri that have received International Agency Accreditation status with the CFAI and the Center for Public Safety Excellence.